- Events & Activities
- Community Preparedness
- EM Partners
Johnson County IEMC 2013
September 16-19, 2013
FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI), Emmitsburg, MD
As part of the continued effort to develop disaster response capabilities, Johnson County recently applied for a unique training and exercise opportunity, FEMA's Community-Specific Integrated Emergency Management Course (IEMC). Johnson County was selected as one of the few jurisdictions nationwide that FEMA will be providing an IEMC for in 2013. A delegation of 75 officials, professionals, and volunteers representing the County, municipalities, and response organizations will travel to FEMA's EMI to participate in the week-long IEMC course. As part of the program, FEMA will design and facilitate a course to meet the specific needs of the Johnson County community.
The purpose of the IEMC is to build the awareness and skills needed to execute plans, implement policies, and develop procedures to protect life and property in the event of an emergency or disaster. The course is an exercise-based training activity that addresses the integration of emergency management functions related to preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation.
The 75 individuals participating in the 2013 Johnson County IEMC have been identified and confirmed. FEMA's list of who should attend the IEMC guided the development of the participant list, which is comprised of a wide variety of disciplines and jurisdictions representing the non-profit, private, and public sector, including representatives from the the city, regional, state, and federal levels. All participants are individuals with key roles in coordinating disaster response activities for their organization.
- Arrival: Sunday, Sept. 15th, 2013
- Course: Mon. - Thurs., September 16th-19th, 2013
- Travel Home: Friday, Sept. 20th, 2013
- FEMA Notification: At this point, everyone should have received an email from FEMA notifying them to proceed with travel arrangements. Please notify Johnson County Emergency Management if you have not yet recieved this information.
- Travel Arrangements: Upon receiving your FEMA email notification, please move forward with making your travel arrangements in accordance with the guidance provided in the NETC/EMI Welcome Package.
- Participant Directory: If you have not already, please provide us with a profile picture of yourself and a brief (100 word or less) bio for a participant directory we are preparing before the trip. The image and bio can be submitted securely online at www.jocoem.org/webform/iemc-participant-bio. Or, you can email it to Cary Gerst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FEMA’s Participant Briefing (August 12th @ 3:30pm): FEMA will be providing an IEMC Participant Briefing during thier visit to Johnson County for participants to receive additional information about the upcoming course. While much of the briefing will have similar content to our previous webinar, this event will provide an opportunity to meet other IEMC participants before the trip and may be particularly valuable for those participants who were unable to attend the previous webinars. The FEMA Participant Briefing will be held in the Johnson County EOC on Monday, August 12th from 3:30pm to 4:30pm. You are not required to attend this event and any new information shared during the briefing will be sent out to all participants via email.
- One-Week-Out Webinar (September 9th @ 3:30pm): We will be holding a webinar/conference call the Monday before we leave for the IEMC. The purpose of this webinar is to touch base one last time before traveling to Maryland. We will go over last minute logistical items and answer any questions participants have. The One-Week-Out Webinar will be on Monday, September 9th from 3:30pm to 4:30pm and you can register now by clicking this link. You are not required to attend this event and any new information shared during the briefing will be sent out to all participants via email.
- Training: Prepare yourself to participate in the IEMC by taking any of the suggested pre-training you have not already completed:Johnson County-Specific Training
- Johnson County EOC Orientation (county employees)
- Emergency Management Partner Orientation (non-county government organizations)
- Johnson County WebEOC Basic Course (all IEMC participants and WebEOC users)
Online FEMA Training
- IS-700 - An Introduction, NIMS
- ICS-100 - Introduction to the Incident Command System
- ICS-200 - ICS for Single Resources
- IS-800 - National Response Framework
- IS-775 - EOC Management and Operations
- Welcome Package for EMI Students
- Johnson County Emergency Operations Plan (CEOP)
- Johnson County WebEOC Information
- FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI)
Emmitsburg, MD Information
The Emergency Management Institute (EMI) is located at FEMA's National Emergency Training Center (NETC) Campus in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Emmitsburg is located about 72 miles Northwest of Washington, DC and about 13 miles South of Gettysburg, PA in Frederick County, Maryland.
Contact Dan Robeson at (913) 715-1001 with any questions!